Through these photos we share stories from the far corners of India. Of the places we have seen and experienced – mainly through the people we have met.
Each photo showcases a slice of life in India. Each one of these 7 photos was selected by Yahoo! as the Picture of the Day on the Yahoo! websites.
Atithi Devo bhava – My guest is my God
A sentiment people throughout India, across cultural and social backgrounds share. As we realised on a trek in Yusmarg, Kashmir when this Gujjar family gave us a warm welcome into their home.
Children in the villages of India have the best playgrounds
Where they get a chance to be inventive and ingenious, just like these two friends, Rohit and Owais from the village Pingwan in Kashmir.
Life is full of colours and Indian festivities are larger than life
This art form is called Rangoli. This one was drawn in honour of Lord Ganesh on the last, immersion day of the festival in Pune.
Necessity is the mother of invention
This old man selling used glasses outside Jami Masjid, Ahmedabad had invented this business for himself to necessitate survival. Recycling is very common in India, even in the bigger cities like Ahmedabad. Many poor people can save money by opting for them.
The Himalayas are magical
And Ladakh, a cold desert in the Greater Himalayas is the epitome of this magic. This photo is at Tso Moriri, a high altitude mountain lake in Ladakh.
The Taj Mahal, of course, needs no introduction
Probably the number one reason people visit India!
Children everywhere are full of talent
These Gujjar kids, of a nomadic shepherd tribe, were eager to sing and dance. They were delighted to receive a chocolate for their reward – which they all shared!
These are the stories behind the photos
- Atithi Devo bhava: 7 Himalayan families which stunned us with their hospitality.
- Children in the villages of India have the best playgrounds: Kids of the hills…
- Life is full of colours and festivities are larger than life: Ganesh festival celebrations in Pune, Ganesh visarjan day in Mumbai
- Necessity is the mother of invention: Odd jobs that people do in India
- The Himalayas are magical: Stunning landscapes of Himalayas, Tso Moriri: A mystical magical lake in Ladakh
- Taj Mahal, of course, needs no introduction: More photos of the Taj Mahal
- Children everywhere are full of talent: Kids of the hills…